Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Life in India


Hello everyone, 
I have arrived in Mussooire and have been attending school orientations for the past two days. I just got my internet hooked up today, which is very exciting!
The journey here was interesting. My 14 hour flight was uneventful... watched a lot of movies. Delhi was very overwhelming. We checked into a rather dumpy hotel and spent the night. The faucet broke so someone had to come in at 10 o’ clock at night and fix it, which involved a LOT of pounding with a hammer. The next morning, we departed early to catch the bus to the train station. Then, we traveled by train for 6 hours! It was very boring... but I read a lot. Lots of interesting sights outside the train, though. We traveled through forests, cities, suburbs and saw many cows and giant pigs eating garbage. The colors of the some of the  saris and salwar kameez the women wore were gorgeous. I thought I wanted to purchase a sari, but salwar kameez are really pretty so I think I might change my mind!
I am slowly adjusting to life in dorms, although I desperately await a care package containing food J!
Going to workout in the gym tomorrow morning, do some yoga. I do, however, think I have been getting quite a bit of exercise here. The walk to school is all uphill, around a mile! It was quite a challenge these first days, especially from adjusting to the elevation, AND carrying a heavy instrument on my back. I will have lungs of steel when I return.
So, school starts tomorrow! I’m actually pretty excited for my classes.
Miss everyone! <3 Alexandra

Some pictures: 
The train station in Delhi


The view of Mussooire while walking to school. Hooray for clear skies!

Giant bugs...

Covered walkway at the school


5 comments:

  1. Hello Alexandra, been waiting to hear your news that you arrived. Love the photos! Like how you sacrificed your hand for the sake of a photo. I personally would have just taken the photo of the HUGE bug without my hand in it. Will send blog info to Joshua so you can share India memories together.
    love you
    Aunt Miche

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the photos, keep posting them. How was your first day of school?

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol at the bug comment. yes aunt miche, i do have skype! facebook me your id if you have it.

    ReplyDelete